POLLUTION EATING BACTERIA SAVING HUMANITY

by Taha Ali Khan

Humanity is marching towards a new era of technological prowess almost every day but in doing so, we’re literally littering the planet. According to a recent report by Clean Water Organization, an organization combating water pollution, urban runoff trash and garbage constitute 80% of the marine debries. The rest of the 20% is formed by the discharges by oil ships and defenestrated fish gear. The effects are terrifyingly adverse, impacting 86% of all the sea turtle species, 44% of all the sea birds and 43% of the marine mammal species. Water pollution is becoming a serious problem not only for the marine life but also for humans after all polluted water bodies will limit their use. This is where biotechnology is coming up clutch, saving not only marine life but humanity as well.

A team of microbiologists found a new type of bacteria at the Yellowstone National Park which eat bacteria and in doing so produce energy. With the help of wire-like hair protruding, the bacteria is able to pass electrons to the outside metals and minerals and thus in a way “breathe” electricity all while decomposing the polluting trash. This is not the first time that micro-organisms have come to the rescue of humans. Enzymes such as laccase have been found to break down plastic waste in oceans and seas and have even been implemented in some countries as effective measured to curb pollution. Only time will tell whether these microorganisms will be the key to solving the pollution crisis but it does leave us with an important warning, that we need to act fast.

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All